Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Supreme Decision

I am thrilled to hear that the Supreme Court ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional and that California's Proposition 8 is out of the park.
In a pair of major victories for the gay rights movement, the Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that married same-sex couples were entitled to federal benefits and, by declining to decide a case from California, effectively allowed same-sex marriages there. 
This is good news for people who are very close to me.  

I am proud of my LGBTQ loved ones and allies who continue to advocate tirelessly for equality.  I am proud of the congregation I serve, a More Light Church.   Not too many churches in these parts will host same-sex weddings.   FPC Elizabethton does.  These are marriages in every sense of the word except for the Tennessee marriage license.   That will come someday.


I am honored to join hundreds of other PCUSA clergy who will marry same-gender couples and thus "stand for love" even as our denomination is yet to get on board.  Soon it will as well.

I was interviewed on WJHL Channel 11.

WJHL-TV: News: Weather, and Sports for Johnson City, TN

No comments:

Post a Comment