Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Mourner's Bill of Rights

Chelsea is my imaginary friend who lives inside my computer.   Each day Chelsea sends me a message to my email account.   She reminds me that I am grieving and that is OK.  Today she emailed me The Mourner's Bill of Rights by Dr. Alan D. Wolfelt.   
  1. You have the right to experience your own unique grief.
  2. You have the right to talk about your grief.
  3. You have the right to feel a multitude of emotions.
  4. You have the right to be tolerant of physical and emotional limits.
  5. You have the right to experience "grief bursts."
  6. You have the right to make use of ritual.
  7. You have the right to embrace your spirituality.
  8. You have the right to search for meaning.
  9. You have the right to treasure your memories.
  10. You have the right to move toward your grief and heal.


Thanks, Chelsea, I needed that!

2 comments:

  1. John...those of us who have lost a loved one at any point can truly sympathize with your honest sharing of these very real emotions. When I read this, I immediately thought about those who lost loved ones in the recent tragedies, and wondered if there might be a way to share your website with those families, too.

    Bless you in your journey and your quest. Thank you for sharing it with us. We are all part of a community of sojourners.

    c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. If you or anyone knows of anyone who can benefit from my story, please send on the link! Thank you for your support and love.

      Delete